Druckansicht der Internetadresse:

Bayreuth Summer University for Intercultural German Studies

Print page

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


Does the Bayreuth Summer University award grants? Hide

The Bayreuth Summer University does not award grants. It is however possible to apply for a grant with DAAD, BAYHOST or the BTHA. With regard to the benefits and requirements please go directly to www.daad.debayhost or www.btha.cz. We will gladly assist you, if you have any questions relating to grants.

How much spending money do I need during my stay in Bayreuth? Hide

From experience we know, that you'll need around 10 € for food per day. Depending on which sights and museums you visit, expect to spend approx. 5-25 € per week. City trips are around 20-30 € and are booked together with the registration at the beginning.

Will I get a refund in case of visa denial or in case I can't come because of personal reasons?Hide

A proper cancellation is possible until June 30th. Already paid course fees will be reimbursed when withdrawing before June 30th. A 100 € cancellation fee will be withheld. The entire fee is due at a withdrawal after June 30th. Special cancellation terms apply for booked tests. If accomodations were booked, the costs for the accomodations will be withheld when withdrawing after June 30th. Further information can be found in our Terms and Conditions of Participation.

Do I need to transfer the full amount at once? Hide

It is sufficent, if you transfer the registration fee of 100 EUR first (within 4 weeks from registration). After receipt of 100 EUR we will secure a place for you. The outstanding amount should be transferred to our account until 15th June. If you need a letter of invitation for visa purposes the mailing expenses should be paid together with the registration fee.


How is the level of the course that I attend assessed? Hide

We will send a link to our online assessment test after your registration for the summer university. According to the test result, you will be allocated to a course best suited to your level of language competence.

Attending most of the specialised courses requires medium level (B2) or higher. You can find detailed information concerning the requirements in the particular course descriptions.

How many students attend one course? Hide

To ensure an ideal learning environment, one course comprises 14-16 participants at the most.

Can I receive ECTS points for the course? Hide

Yes, if you regularly attend the course and successfully pass a written exam at the end of the course. For a detailed allocation of the ECTS points go to Certificate | Credits. After successfully passing the exam, every participant will receive a certificate documenting the number of ECTS points achieved.

Can I take the TestDaF or DSH Exam within the scope of the Summer University?Hide

We offer the specialized course „TestDaF exam preparation” within the scope of the summer university. For the actual exam, which you can take in Bayreuth in September, you need to register independently on the TestDaF website (www.testdaf.de).

For information concerning the DSH exam, please turn directly to the University of Bayreuth. Information about exam preparation for the DSH exam can be found on the homepage of the IIK Bayreuth.

Arrival & Departure

When should I arrive in Bayreuth? Hide

The arrival day for all participants is August 8. On this day the participants and the teachers of the summer university will arrive. There are no courses yet. You will receive the key for your accommodation and all important information. If you arrive earlier, you need to take care of your accomodation until arrival day yourself.

What is the best way to get to Bayreuth? Hide

Bayreuth has a train station, so one possibility is to travel by train. If you are planning to come by plane, the closest airport is Nürnberg Airport. From there you can take the train to Bayreuth. Other airports are Munich airport and Frankfurt airport, that have a good train connection to Bayreuth. Click here for details regarding your travel to Bayreuth.

What should I consider when booking my homeward journey? Hide

Please note that on the day of departure many students need to check out at about the same time, which may cause some delays. Please calculate some extra time when planning your journey to cover any eventualities.


Do I need to find my own accommodation? Hide

You can book an accommodation for your stay in Bayreuth on your own. If you wish us to do so, we can arrange a single room in a student dormitory, in a private shared flat or with a host family for you. The rooms are 340 € per month plus 100 € deposit. We will return the deposit fee at the end of the course upon leaving the room clean and in a good condition. See here for further details about accommodation.

Do I need to bring my own bedding? Hide

Bedding is available at the homes of the host families, in most "WGs" (rooms in private flats) and in some student dormitory rooms. If your room is not equipped with bedding, you can borrow it from us at a deposit. 

Do I need to bring my own towels? Hide

Yes, you will need to bring your own towels.

Do I need to bring my own cutlery/crockery? Hide

Crockery and cutlery is available at the homes of the host families, in most "WGs" (rooms in private flats) and in some student dormitory rooms. If your room is not equipped with crockery/cutlery, you can borrow a basic set from us at a deposit. 

Is it possible to cook in the student dormitories? Hide

A kitchen where you can cook is available in all student dormitories, private shared flats at the homes of the host families. 

May I share accommodation with my friend? Hide

It is more interesting to live together with young people from other countries. We can however try to arrange for you to live near your friends if you let us know about your wish in time.

How far is it from the student dormitory to the university? Hide

Almost all of the student dormitories are located right next to campus, and around 20 minutes from the city centre on foot. The journey can also be made by bus, which takes around 10 minutes. One of the student dormitories is, however, located somewhat further from the campus, and students staying here need to travel about 20 minutes by bus to reach the university.


How much is a meal in the university dining hall? Hide

Ca. 3.50 - 5.00 € + beverage.

Does the university dining hall also offer evening meals? Hide

No, the main dining hall closes at 13:30 h. In the "Frischraum" warm meals are offered until 20:00 h.

Does the university dining hall offer breakfast? Hide

The university cafeteria offers coffee, tea, sandwiches and pastries.

Is there a special menu for vegetarians in the dining hall? Hide

Yes, the daily menu always contains a vegetarian option. You may also choose from a variety of different salads at the salad buffet.

General Questions

Where are the students of the summer courses from? Hide

Countries of origin are almost all European countries, America, Australia, Africa and Asia. Students from over 40 nations participated in 2019.

What age are the summer university attendees? Hide

The majority of students are between 19 and 26 years of age. The participants need to be at least 18 years old but shouldn't be older than 26 (exceptions on request).

Which guidelines for the prevention of violence should be followed? Hide

Please click here for important guidelines you should follow in case you ever feel threatened.

Do I need to be vaccinated before entering Germany? Hide

There are no obligatory inoculations for the stay in Germany. However, inoculations against diphtheria and tetanus are recommended, as well as - for risk groups - against FSME, hepatitis B and rabies.

The FSME virus (tick-borne encephalitis), which is transferred by a tick bite, is spread in some regions in Germany. As Bayreuth is among the areas at risk, please talk to your general practitioner about the urgency of an inoculation against FSME as a preventive measure. Protection against ticks in general is always advisable particularly during recreation (a day in nature).

Keeping the current worldwide situation in mind we are currently planning to require our participants to either have proof of vaccination with a vaccine authorized in the European Union or proof of recovery within the past three months of the Summer School 2022. In addition, there might be further requirements such as keeping a distance while being in class or wearing a face mask to keep all participants safe.

To stay up to date with the current regulations at the University of Bayreuth please follow the information here

Please keep in mind that these rules are subject to change depending on the given regulations by the state and university at the time of our Summer School. We will keep all participants updated! 

Where can I read my e-mails and surf the internet? Hide

In order to use wifi on the campus you have to bring your own device. If you have your own notebook and a LAN cable, you may also use the internet within the student dormitory.

Who do I contact for questions? Hide

You will be supported by student tutors in the dormitories as well as during your time at university. The course office team will also gladly answer your questions.

Are there any sport activities during the free time? Hide

Yes, sports feature within the summer university social programme. An outdoor swimming pool is located right next to the campus.

Webmaster: Filiz Durak

Facebook Twitter Youtube-Kanal Instagram UBT-A Contact